What We Offer
Tennessee Voices’ Early Childhood Program provides training and technical assistance to parents and childcare staff across the state of Tennessee. We offer training on the Pyramid Model, Adverse Childhood Experiences, and Positive Solutions for Families. Classroom consultations are available upon request for childcare professionals desiring strategies tailored specifically to their classroom.
Who We Serve
Our Early Childhood Program targets teachers, administrators, parents, and caregivers who support children birth-8 years old. We work with child serving agencies across the state, such as Head Starts, voluntary Pre-K, faith-based Pre-Ks, and elementary schools.
students were suspended in grades K-12 during the 2015-2016 school year.
preschool children nationwide were suspended at least once in 2013-2014
Why It Matters
According to the Pyramid Model Equity Project:
- Young students who are expelled or suspended experience:
- greater academic failure and grade retention
- more negative attitudes about school and are less engaged in academics
- higher rates of dropout
- increased rates of incarceration
- One of the federal recommendations to address suspension and expulsion was for early learning programs to use evidence-based practices and approaches to promote social-emotional competence in young children as a way to address challenging behavior According to the TN Department of Education, Of those, 43,445 were males and 20, 163 were females. For recent data from the Tennessee Department of Education, click here.
This project is funded by the TDMHSAS.